Heather E Bullock
|Division||Social Sciences Division|
|Affiliations||Humanities Division, |
Feminist Studies Department,
Community Studies Program
|Office||Social Sciences 2, Room 359|
|Office Hours||On Sabbatical (2015-2016 academic year)|
|Campus Mail Stop||Psychology Faculty Services|
Heather Bullock's research focuses on social psychological dimensions of economic (in)justice. She is interested in how members of different socioeconomic groups understand and justify poverty and wealth, as well as their own relative status. Much of her work in this area examines how classist stereotypes and attributions for poverty influence support for various welfare and anti-poverty policies.
Professor Bullock also studies interpersonal classism in the lives of low-income women. She is working to document the conditions under which classist behaviors are most likely to occur and the intersections of classism, racism, and sexism. Of special concern is discrimination that occurs in settings in which low-income groups rely on others for assistance (e.g., social services, medical care).
Biography, Education and Training
Ph.D., University of Rhode Island
B.A., Allegheny College
- Limbert, W.M., and Bullock, H.E. Framing U.S. Redistributive Policies: Tough love for poor women and tax cuts for seniors. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 2009, 9, 57-83.
- Lott, B., and Bullock, H.E. Psychology and economic injustice: Personal, professional, and political intersections. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2007.
- Downing, R.A., LaVeist, T.A., and Bullock, H.E. Intersections of ethnicity and social class in provider advice regarding reproductive health. American Journal of Public Health, 2007, 97, 1803-1807.
- Limbert, W.M. and Bullock, H.E. "Playing the fool:" U.S. welfare policy from a critical race perspective, Feminism and Psychology, 2005, 15, 253-274.
- Bullock, H.E. From the frontlines of welfare reform: An analysis of social worker and welfare recipient attitudes. Journal of Social Psychology, 2004, 144, 571-588.
- Bullock, H.E. and Limbert, W.M. Scaling the socioeconomic ladder: Women's perceptions of class status and opportunity, Journal of Social Issues, 2003, 59, 693-709.
- Bullock, H.E., Williams, W.R., and Limbert, W.M. Predicting support for welfare policies: The impact of attributions and beliefs about inequality, Journal of Poverty, 2003, 7, 35-56.
- Bullock, H.E., Wyche, K.F., and Williams, W.R. Media images of the poor, Journal of Social Issues, 2003, 57, 229-246.