|Division||Graduate Studies Division, |
Social Sciences Division
|Office||Social Sciences 2, Room 203|
|Office Hours||Wednesday 1:30-3pm (Spring 2017)|
|Campus Mail Stop||Psychology Faculty Services|
- Critical refugee studies, migration and education, critical pedagogy, war and memory narratives, social constructions of citizenship, intergenerational dialogue, Southeast Asian/American studies, youth and community empowerment, participatory action research, social constructions of children and childhood, ideologies about adult rights and children's rights
Biography, Education and Training
- Ph.D. Candidate, Social Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz
- M.S., Social Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz
- B.S., Social Psychology, East Asian Studies Minor, Saint Mary's College of California, summa cum laude
- Other Active Involvement:
- Community Psychology Research and Action Team (CPRAT)
- Committee on Teaching
- Bay Area Community Psychology Network (BACPN). Sociey for Community Research and Action (SCRA) West Region. APA Divison 27.
- Asia and Pacific Graduate Reading Group. UCSC Asian American/Pacific Islander Resource Center (AA/PIRC).
Honors, Awards and Grants
- SPSSI Diversity Travel Award (2016), Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- Psychology Department Mini Research Grant (2015, 2016), UC Santa Cruz
- Psychology Department Travel Grant (2012-2016), UC Santa Cruz
- Eugene Cota-Robles Fellowship (2011-2016), UC Santa Cruz
- Freeman Asia Award (2009), Freeman Foundation, Institute of International Education
- Bridging Scholarship (2009), US-Japan Bridging Foundation
- Japan Studies Scholarship (2008), Consulate General of Japan in San Francisco
- Langhout, R. D., Ellison, E. R., Kohfeldt, D., Nguyen, A., Fernandez, J. S., Silva, J. M., Gordon, D., & Tam Rosas, S. (2016). Thinking through our processes: How the UCSC Community Psychology Research & Action Team strives to embody ethical, critically reflexive anti-racist feminist praxis. Global Journal of Community Psychology Practice, 7(4). Read Online
- Fernández, J. S., Nguyen, A., & Langhout, R.D. (2015). It’s a puzzle! Elementary school-aged youth concept-mapping the intersections of community narratives. International Journal for Research on Extended Education, 3(1), 24-38.
- Nguyen, A., & Langhout, R. D. (In prep). Moving beyond adult-child dichotomies: Unraveling nuances in adult and child rights ideologies and child participation attitudes (working title).
- Nguyen, A. (2016, November). Negotiating Vietnamese American Identities and Postmemory through Intergenerational Dialogue. Presented at Literature Department, Queer in Asian American Literature (LIT162) Course, Univesrity of California, Santa Cruz.
- Nguyen, A. (2016, March). The impact of war and displacement on cultural communities. Presented at Psychology Department, Culture and Human Development (PSYC 110) Course, University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Nguyen, A. (2016, January). Vietnamese American experiences: Bridging history, refugee narratives, and intergenerational dialogue. Presented at Ethnic Studies Program, Introduction to the Study of Race and Ethnicity in the U.S. (ETHN 5) Course, Santa Clara University.
- Nguyen, A., & Fernandez, J. S. (2015, June). It’s a puzzle! Elementary-school-aged youth concept-mapping the intersections of community narratives. In R. D. Langhout (Chair). Children conceptualize their world, rights, and freedom. Symposium conducted at the biennial meeting of the Society for Community Research and Action (SCRA), Lowell, MA.
- Nguyen, A. (2015, April). War and schooling: The experience of Vietnamese refugees. Presented at Education Department, South and Southeast Asian Schooling and Immigration (EDUC 171) Course, University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Nguyen, A. (2014, June). Unraveling nuances in rights ideologies and child participation attitudes. In D. Kohfeldt (Chair). Supporting Children as Active Citizens: Implications for Adult Roles. Symposium conducted at the biennial meeting of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI), Portland, OR.
- Nguyen, A. (2014, January). Participatory Action Research. Presented at Psychology Department, Advanced Qualitative Research Methods (PSYC 182) Course, University of California Santa Cruz.
- Nguyen, A., Yip, D., & Bhukhan, J. (2013, June). Telling to the eyes: How young people use visual art and media to construct meaning. Roundtable conducted at the bienniel meeting of the Society for Community Research and Action (SCRA), Miami, FL.
- Fernández, J. S., Nguyen, A., & Langhout, R. D. (2013, April). ‘Once upon a time we made a change’: Youth participatory action research (YPAR) with elementary school-aged Latina/o youth. In B. Kirshner (Chair). Youth Sociopolitical Development for Equity-based School Reform: Possibilities and Constraints. Interactive Poster Session conducted at the annual meeting of the American Education Research Association (AERA), San Francisco, CA.
- Yip, D., Nguyen, A., Fernández, J. S., & Langhout, R. D. (2013, March). Maplewood stories: The making of a mural. Presentation conducted at the annual meeting of University Collaborative Links (UC-Links), Berkeley, CA.
- Zarnoth, P., Nguyen, A., Hernandez, L. A., Wright W., & Evans, C. V. (2011). It isn’t my fault, so it isn’t yours either: Social projection and blame-avoidance in groups. Poster session conducted at the annual meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP), San Antonio, TX.
- As Graduate Advisor/Mentor for Undergraduate Research:
- Basualdo, A., Cross, A., Guzman, R., Masonheimer, A., Vizcarra, A., Hanhan, S., Nguyen, A., & Cardilla, K. (2015, May). College students' development of coping strategies in response to academic stress. Oral session conducted at the Stanford Undergraduate Psychology Conference, Stanford, CA.
- Silveira, M., Lieu, L., Kwang, W., Kemper, K., Batzloff, B., Cardilla, K., & Nguyen, A. (2015, May). Self-identification, experiences with police, and media consumption: The combined impact on perceptions of police. Oral session conducted at the Stanford Undergraduate Psychology Conference, Stanford, CA.
- Alaran, D., Castro, M., Lam, S., Rojas, C., Nguyen, A., & Fernandez, Y. (2014, March). Change 4 Good yPAR project: Mural evaluation and reporting back to the community. Poster presentation conducted at the annual meeting of University Collaborative Links (UC Links), Berkeley, CA.
- Bowen, A., Sarkisian, A., Sosa, A., Yip, D., Fernandez, J., & Nguyen, A. (2012, March). Change 4 Good yPAR project: Analyzing housemeeting stories and discerning themes. Poster presentation conducted at the annual meeting of University Collaborative Links (UC Links), Berkeley, CA
- Community Psychology (PSYC149). Spring 2017. Psychology Department.
- Critical Refugee Studies and Southeast Asian Diasporas (CRES182). Summer 2017. Critical Race and Ethnic Studies.