Christine Elliana Michelle Starr
|Title||Social Psychology PhD Program|
|Division||Graduate Studies Division|
|Web Site|| Research Gate Profile-- download my publications for free|
|Office||Social Sciences 2, room 445|
|Campus Mail Stop||Psychology Faculty Services|
|Social Sciences 2 Room 145|
Santa Cruz, CA
-Media Literacy and Mediation
-Self-Objectification and Objectification theory
-Increasing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) participation among girls
Biography, Education and Training
I am attending the social psychology doctoral program to pursue my interest in risk and protective factors of the sexualization of young girls as well as programs to encourage girls in STEM fields. In the past I have worked on several projects related to PTSD, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, and the military at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago and Northwestern University.
Honors, Awards and Grants
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2014-2017 Robert S. Harper Prize for Graduate Study in Psychology, 2010 Richter Research Grant, 2010
- Starr, C. R. & Ferguson, G. M. (2012). Sexy dolls, sexy gradeschoolers? Media and maternal influences on young girls’ self-sexualization. Sex Roles, 67, 463-476.
Starr, C. R. (2014). An Objective Look at Early Sexualization and the Media: Book Review of Media and The Sexualization of Childhood by Barry Gunter. Sex Roles, in press. doi: 10.1007/s11199-014-0422-4
Kondiles, B., Starr, C. R., Larson, E., & Zollman, F. (2014). Method of assessment and symptom reporting post mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Health Psychology & Behavioral Medicine, in press. doi: 10.1080/21642850.2014.966717
- Zollman, F., Starr, C. R., Kondiles, B., Cyborski, C., & Larson, E. (2014). The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago military Traumatic Brain Injury screening instrument: Determination of sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. 29(1):99-107.
- Larson, E., Kondiles, B., Starr, C. R., & Zollman, F. (2013). Postconcussive complaints, cognition, symptom attribution, and effort among veterans. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 19, 88-95.
- Larson, E., Kondiles, B., Zollman, F., & Starr, C.R. Memory, Postconcussion Disorder, and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in a sample of veterans. Rehabilitation Psychology, 58(3), 245-252.
Starr, C. R., & Zurbriggen, E. L. (2014, October). Pouty Princesses and Skeletons in Fishnets: A Content Analysis of Sexualization and Stereotypes in Children’s Fashion Dolls. Poster presented at Gender Development Conference, San Francisco, California.
Starr, C. R.,& Ferguson, G. M. (2013, March). The Role of Media and Mothering in Young Girls’ Self-Sexualization. Invited paper presented at the 38th Annual Conference of The Association for Women in Psychology, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Starr, C.R., & Larson, E. (2014, March). Sleep Disturbance and Acute Changes in Cognition among Veterans with PTSD and mTBI. Poster presented at the 10th Annual Brain International Injury Conference, San Francisco, California.
- Starr, C.R. (2012, June). The Traumatic Brain Injury National Database: Developing a Model System. Presented at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago’s Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council, Chicago, Illinois.
- Novitski, J., Larson, E., & Starr, C. R. (2014, Feb). Relationship between Sleep Disturbance and Cognition in Veterans with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Poster presented at the 42nd Annual Conference of the International Neurological Society, Seattle, Washington.
- Zollman, F., Starr, C.R., Kondiles, B., Cyborski, C., & Larson, E. (2013, March). The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago military Traumatic Brain Injury screening instrument: Determination of sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value. Poster presented at the American Academy of Neurology 65th Annual Meeting, San Diego, California.
-Psych of Trauma