Christine Elliana Michelle Starr
|Title||Social Psychology PhD Program|
|Web Site|| Research Gate profile-- download my publications for free|
|Office||Social Sciences 2, room 445|
|Campus Mail Stop||Psychology Faculty Services|
|Social Sciences 2 Room 145|
Santa Cruz, CA
Research Interests-Early Sexualization
-Media Literacy and Mediation
-Self-Objectification and Objectification theory
-Increasing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) participation among girls
Biography, Education and TrainingI am attending the social psychology doctoral program to pursue my interest in risk and protective factors of the sexualization of young girls as well as programs to encourage girls in STEM fields. In the past I have worked on several projects related to PTSD, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, and the military at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago and Northwestern University.
Honors, Awards and GrantsRobert S. Harper Prize for Graduate Study in Psychology, 2010
Richter Research Grant, 2010
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2014-2017
- Starr, C. R. & Ferguson, G. M. (2012). Sexy dolls, sexy gradeschoolers? Media and maternal influences on young girls’ self-sexualization. Sex Roles, 67, 463-476.
- Zollman, F., Starr, C. R., Kondiles, B., Cyborski, C., & Larson, E. (2014). The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago military Traumatic Brain Injury screening instrument: Determination of sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. 29(1):99-107.
- Larson, E., Kondiles, B., Starr, C. R., & Zollman, F. (2013). Postconcussive complaints, cognition, symptom attribution, and effort among veterans. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 19, 88-95.
- Larson, E., Kondiles, B., Zollman, F., & Starr, C.R. Memory, Postconcussion Disorder, and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in a sample of veterans. Rehabilitation Psychology, 58(3), 245-252.
- # Starr, C. R.,& Ferguson, G. M. (2013, March). The Role of Media and Mothering in Young Girls’ Self-Sexualization. Invited paper presented at the 38th Annual Conference of The Association for Women in Psychology, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- # Starr, C.R., & Larson, E. (2014, March). Sleep Disturbance and Acute Changes in Cognition among Veterans with PTSD and mTBI. Poster presented at the 10th Annual Brain International Injury Conference, San Francisco, California.
- # Starr, C.R. (2012, June). The Traumatic Brain Injury National Database: Developing a Model System. Presented at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago’s Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council, Chicago, Illinois.
- # Novitski, J., Larson, E., & Starr, C. R. (2014, Feb). Relationship between Sleep Disturbance and Cognition in Veterans with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Poster presented at the 42nd Annual Conference of the International Neurological Society, Seattle, Washington.
- # Zollman, F., Starr, C.R., Kondiles, B., Cyborski, C., & Larson, E. (2013, March). The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago military Traumatic Brain Injury screening instrument: Determination of sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value. Poster presented at the American Academy of Neurology 65th Annual Meeting, San Diego, California.
-Psych of Trauma